Arborio is Italian short grain rice and is very easy to cook with. It’s often used to make risotto, and rice pudding. Before I embraced the ME-gan Lifestyle, and became extremely creative, always looking for new food items, I never knew Arborio existed. I must have led a sheltered life!
I make a really delicious fried rice with Arborio, and those who I’ve cooked it for have raved about it. It’s quite simple, start to finish takes about 40 to 45 minutes:
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 1/4 cup of extra light olive oil
- 1 medium red or sweet onion, chopped
- 6 mini peppers, chopped. (I buy the bags with yellow, orange, and red mini peppers all mixed together. I use a couple of each. If you don’t have mini peppers, use 1/2 each of the regular size yellow, orange and red peppers)
- 2 large garlic cloves – finely diced or 1 to 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/8 cup San-J Gluten Free Thai Peanut Sauce
- 1/8 cup San-J Gluten Free Soy Sauce
- 1/4 cup San-J Gluten Free Teriyaki Sauce
- 6 cups water or O Organics Organic Vegetable Broth
- 1 tsp. sea salt
Pour 1/4 cup of extra light olive oil into a heated large, deep sauce pan, or frying pan (whatever you want to call it). Throw in the onions, garlic & peppers, sauté about 7 minutes – you want to hear it sizzling while you are smelling the aroma that will be filling the air rather quickly! Pour in the 2 cups of rice, and continue to sauté another 5 minutes. Pour in 2 cups of water or veg. broth and stir. It will take about 10 minutes (stirring often) for the broth to cook down , once it does, add 2 more cups along with the soy, teriyaki and peanut sauces – stir. I never walk away, and I stir frequently. When that has cooked down, you will now add the last 2 cups of broth & mix well, this time covering with lid slightly cracked. Lower heat a little bit, and cook for 15 minutes – stirring maybe once, halfway through. I made this last night and served steamed mixed vegetables on the side.
I always say, get creative! Maybe you’ll want to add mushrooms or spinach, or if you have any fried tofu leftover, toss it in at the end. It’s all up to you. But I can guarantee you, the above is pretty darn good as is! 🙂 Try it, you’ll LOVE it!
Recipe sharing love to you!